Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Yelle

I really love using shuffle on my music player because it reminds me of the variety in musical tastes I have. Today, it reminded me not only of Yelle , whose music I stumbled upon one day while using my MIA Pandora station, but that I should try to keep up my French. Currently, the language on my mind is Spanish because I am taking it as a class and because I have, to a certain degree, an academic interest in the language. This stems from my interest in the Spanish Civil War and the Franco period, facts which I've repeated almost a zillion times now in my short compositions for Spanish 101 and 102. However, I think attempting to keep two Romance languages under my belt would be great and help to keep research opportunities open to me. Although I will not be getting my Ph.D in Canada any government job there requires bilingualism in French and English. Why would this be important to me? Well, because Canada is the nation of my birth and the home of the best sitcom ever . I will be sad to lose my access to the CBC which has Dragon's Den, which is much better than its American Rip-Off , and George Stroumboulopoulos. So if I could work in the land of the CBC as an archaeologist that would be great and so French would be a necessity. My attempts to keep French in my brain though will be limited by my time and access to materials with which I can practice the language. So, for now, I will be just listening to pop music.