Monday, April 23, 2012

Sleeping In

Greetings after the weekend. I had a really hard time getting up this morning. Strangely enough this was accompanied by terrible dreams in which I was late to various things, class and work etc. I thought it was rather ironic that although I was sleeping, and therefore could be late, I continued to dream about what would happen to me if I continued to do the same thing I was already doing. Sleep has a very odd effect on people in that way. I find that very minute changes in my sleeping routine, the temperature of the room the type of sheets, completely change how I sleep. The warmer I make my bed, having flannel sheets or having a blanket underneath me that I sleep on, I have a harder time getting out of bed, probably obviously, because it’s too comfortable and warm and I don't feel like facing the cold morning. What I dislike about that though, is that after sleeping in for the extra ten or so minutes I often end up feeling much worse than I did when I woke up the first time. Yet, I continue to sleep in even when I know this is what will happen to me. This suggests to me that sleep, like any other thing that we can have too much of, is addictive, although probably the mildest thin you could possibly be addicted to. However, it still makes me feel like crap and is why, even on weekends, I try to be awake before 9 am. Or else I generally waste a day feeling groggy and unhappy and wishing I hadn’t slept in.