Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Steampunk!

So I've almost always been interested in fantasy costumes, stories, etc. This lead to my interest in archaeology because it was the only profession I could think of where I could study people AND have really cool adventures that mirrored the stories I enjoyed. However, my dabbling in theater during highschool picture copyright Mac, also made me very interested in other costume "cultures". Most recently Steampunk . I saw some really great costumes at Emerald City Comicon two weeks ago but part of me began to see a lot of repetition. The Victorian Superheroes I saw were pretty cool but I was a little annoyed by the lack of cultural diversity. Some have already discussed this but I am very interested in making or commissioning a South Asian, Spanish, or Middle-Eastern themed costume because there are so many possibilities for cool detail and costume forms. If I were to actually do this, which is unlikely, I would begin with at Steampunk Matador Costume and then go from there. It would include some great goggles and plenty of tiny gears.