Friday, April 20, 2012

Planning

I can't find my planner! It doesn't look like a planner but it is very important, and of course a little tacky. I turned a faux snake skin journal into a planner because I almost always get a journal as a present and rarely use them for journaling purposes. However, I see the use of a planner as a sort of journal actually. It records in minute detail the things that I need to do and they are often the banal things I wouldn't think to tell people. It would be the perfect thing for an anthropological discussion of the average college student because it records the habitus and living rituals rather than just the special events. I think it will be fascinating when, and there probably are people working on this, but exploring the minute bits of information that people leave around the internet and around the house that would help to build a concrete understanding of what "american culture" looks like now. More than anthropological interviews looking at a group of people's tweets or status updates or google calendars might give more insight to their lives and the social skills they aquire than asking them a bunch of explicit questions.