Monday, April 9, 2012

Lump Sum

Well, I guess I am better at being regular with things that are not blogging. That's fine. Over the last five days, in which I have not been posting, I have come to some very important decisions. I will not yet reveal these decisions though since I need some things in writing before I proceed. Although, I will say that I have at least one less thing to think about right now. On other notes, I drove for the first time last week, which was very exciting. I felt that the pedal did not require as much pressure as I thought, which rather scared me, and that the wheel needs a lot more turning. Some have asked, "What did you expect?" and my response is that I have no idea. The only cars I've driven recently were in Halo, Uncharted, and possibly that racing game in the wet mess at Olympic dam and all of those operated much differently. Two of them required joysticks and not wheels. My dad's car is good to practice in I think since it is large and takes a bit more effort to use. Therefore, I will be using it as my “car” to talk about today in my driving class. His 1997 Nissan Quest has some problems but I will not be mentioning them since they would cost more than the car is worth to get fixed. Probably not the best choice but currently I am driving under 10 miles an hour in it so I doubt there will be many problems.

I also had a Spanish test that I thought went well but only the grade will tell. I really like my professor and she is quite hilarious. She hates pencils and with legitimate reason. If you write your test in pencil you can then erase it, once you get it back, change your answers, and then report the grader for being unfair. I wouldn't ever do that but I know of people who would and have heard stories from teachers who were accused of grading incorrectly. It is a scary prospect to think about how much power students can have to ruin the lives of beginning teachers or older graduate students who are instructors. An accusation like that could completely wreck someone’s career. Therefore, I am totally OK with her requiring pens for tests and other work. Besides that it is rather fun to hear a Spaniard actually speak their language rather than someone who learned Spanish as a second language. She pronounces her /z/ like a /th/, which I actually doubt are the properly linguistic tags, and often arrives late to class. I find both of these things to be fun little tidbits that make the class feel less like a college level course which is very serious and more like an informal language lesson where we are all attempting to learn something that is difficult. Sometimes I feel that people assume that things like science and math are harder than foreign language but I feel like all those subjects can be equally difficult if you want to learn them well.