Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Purpose

Whenever I think of the word 'purpose' I think of the song, by the same name, sung in Avenue Q. That song is particularly important now because I am, like Princeton, graduating with my BA in a seemingly useless major. However, I, unlike Princeton, have in fact "found" my purpose. I choose to "" found because I think that one's purpose, if a person decides that one needs this, is partially chosen by the person and partially something mysterious(ish). I mean that to a degree you need to work to obtain a "purpose" but you know when you've found it because things are easy for you to do in that field. The right opportunities just fall into place. Or at least that is what I have found with my "purpose". I have met really good people and been exposed to tools that I understand well and can execute well partially from me going out and searching for them but also because they seemed to fit right. Small changes, such as my ability to take criticism, would have completely changed who I worked with and what projects I was interested in. Thinking about those makes me realize how unique an opportunity I've had in my undergraduate degree and how good a fit my interests really are.