Saturday, February 27, 2016

A long time ago

I started this blog almost 4 years ago after my graduate interview. At one point on the interview someone mentioned how important it was to write and that writing everyday can help improve your writing. (write write write, oh did I mention write?) So I did. For the last year (quarter?) of my undergraduate degree, I wrote something like 250 words everyday. It wasn't very organized, or good, and expressed opinions that I'm not sure I'd agree with today but I was younger and less aware and I'm not going to remove them because it's important to know where you came from.

Anyways, I'm going to start this blog up again because I've been finding myself attracted to small-blog writing jobs related to my hobbies and academic interests and, therefore, I need more updated writing samples if I'm going to apply to them. Additionally, (which is my current favorite transition word) there are a lot of things circulating my head that are not academic (aka related to my thesis) or explicitly creative that I've been wanting to write about. So this will be where I'm going to put those poorly constructed thoughts. I have also been bugging people about starting a blog but clearly not fully committed to the idea. So we'll start here, see what happens, and then maybe invest in something more substantial later on.

The current eventual plan is to have 2-3 blogs related on a central site. Those blogs will be 1) About my current research 2) A side project that I refer to as my "back-up" thesis 3) hobby/review material. These may intersect and cross over etc but those would be the three main topics of discussion. My next post will be a short blog I wrote for an application to Panels.