Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Doctors

So after getting into college I realized that there are many ways to be a doctor. One can be general practicing medical doctor, a jurist doctor, or get a PhD in any particular field. I want to address the sort of "fear" that I think many people have of going to the medical doctor. This comes in response to an article on Jezebel a site whose articles I generally like. The particular post suggested that many doctors, who they identified as being specifically male by the use of the pronoun "he", are making it difficult for women to obtain birth control by making them come in for yearly check ups. My question is, why the hell is this a problem? A yearly physical can be really good for you since most people are not aware of the warning signs for certain illnesses. Also its a good time to check up on other possible STDs since, although clearly written on the label, not very many people acknowledge the fact that the pill does not stop STDs. It gets women into a clinic to make sure that they are actually as healthy as they think they are. It is also I think a good idea to realize that not all doctors are men and that not all of them are in it for the money. I have been going to my GP who prescribes my BCP for years and we have a good working relationship. When I had problems with the type I was prescribed we worked out one that was a better fit for my body. The problems that the article outlined suggest a problem not with "doctors" as a whole but with communication. If you don't like how your doctor acts, get a new one if you can afford to do so. If you can't afford to find another doctor then you probably are not in an income bracket to really worry about this problem. While I don't think its a problem to make BCPs more widely available, from my own experience I know that just getting a generic kind, without the aid of a doctor who knows what they do, is not the best way to go. They are still medicines that react differently in different people and it is much more comforting to have a person specifically knowledgeable about the topic explore why than just asking the internet.