Thursday, May 3, 2012

Mind Bloggling

I think a zillion people have actually explored the fact that there is a helluva lot of information on the internet. (la uva is Spanish for grape! and always sounds funny to me...). With that large amount of information I think one can find evidence to back almost any current opinion. However, there are still many things that do not exist on the internet. There are thousands of historical documents that will lie in boxes for years with no one giving money to digitize them. There are foreign language histories that are not thought to be important enough by the often western-oriented proprietors of the internet to be translated or made available online. Those things make me sad but also encourage me to continue my interest and pursuit of a graduate degree. Following reading another thought-provoking (in the sense that it made me mildly angry and then made me think about the issue) from Gawker. Academic research is the first step towards knowledge that the entire populace can benefit from. It opens the way for non-academics, starting as undergraduates, to be involved in a never explored topic and to show its importance. An attack on graduate degrees could then be taken as another extension of the obsession with now and that only the information of today will further the future. Thoughts like this remind me that all humans build on the things that came before us and without studying those things and utilizing what they give us will will not be able to advance much farther.